FAQS : FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
A NOTE REGARDING COVERAGES: The method for determining payment amounts varies from one insurance company to another. Payments are also based on stated policy limits and deductibles may be applied. When purchasing any type of property/casualty insurance, policyholders should read policy documents carefully and understand the types and levels of coverage included.
HOME INSURANCE FAQ’S
- Why should I buy homeowner’s insurance?
- What is a deductible?
- How much will I pay for homeowner’s insurance?
- How can I lower my premium?
- What if I’m found liable for injuring another person?
- What kinds of damage does a basic homeowner’s policy cover?
- What damage to my house would not be covered by my homeowner’s policy?
- If my home burned to the ground, how much money would the insurance company pay me per my policy?
- How will I be able to recall the contents of my home if it is destroyed?
- What can I do about expensive possessions, like jewelry and camera equipment, that are far more valuable than the coverage limits of my homeowner’s policy?
- I want to buy a condominium. Will my homeowner’s policy be different from the one I had when I owned a house?
- I’m renting an apartment. Will my landlord’s insurance cover my belongings if the building burns down?
- Besides me, who else is covered under my homeowner’s policy?
AUTO INSURANCE FAQ’S
- What should I do if I’m involved in an accident?
- What does it mean when a car is “totaled”?
- What should I do if another driver hits my car?
- How do I handle a claim if I cause an accident?
- What happens if my car is stolen?
- What effect does my driving record have on my auto insurance?
- Does the kind of car I drive matter to an insurance company?
- Why would I want to buy more insurance than state law requires?
- Why does a high deductible cause my premium to go down?
- Why does my insurance company want to know my age?
- Can I insure my boat?
- I am retired, but I work part-time as a handyman. Do I need special insurance coverage for my truck, which I use when I’m hired to make repairs?
- I have towing and labor coverage on my auto policy. Does it only come into effect after an accident?
- What is the difference between the cancellation and non-renewal of an auto policy?
- My state requires minimum insurance coverage of 15/30/5. What does that mean?
- I have heard of states with no-fault laws and PIP coverage. How does that differ from states with standard coverage?
- I plan on driving through several states during my next vacation. I carry the minimum coverage allowed by my state, but will my insurance cover me if I have an accident in another state while I am away?
- Can a driver be found partially to blame for an automobile accident?
- What types of coverage are generally included in a standard personal auto policy?